Although I'm pretty tall- barely 5'8, so I'm not all that experienced with shortness, I have friends that know the feeling! I have asked them for some of their tips!
- Inseams are the good news! If you're more petite, look for stores that sell jeans by inseam rather than size. Here are a few of my favorites that size that way: Topshop, Pacsun, Lucky Brand Jeans, Madewell, J. Crew, and 7 For All Mankind.
- High waisted jeans, shorts, skirts, and belted dresses are ideal. The higher waist will make your legs appear much longer and will give you height.
- Skinny jeans are your best friend! Especially since you are thin, these will accentuate your narrow frame and fit well. Flared and boot legged jeans will make your legs appear shorter and visually add on weight.
If you have particularly short or long legs, look for jeans sized short or tall to help you find lengths that fit better. Lucky for you, you can cuff your jeans! I usually buy tall jeans and they still can be super short on me- I love cuffs and I think they look great and draw attention to the shoes!
- As you said, lots of tops can be baggy, and please avoid them at all costs! Shirts that are not fitted can make your small figure look tiny, and that is something that you don't want. Baggy shirts can also make you visually gain twenty pounds. My advice: ditch them.
- Draw the eye upward with a musically printed top. Although your legs may not be long, no need to make people realize that first!
- Wear smaller prints and vertical stripes to elongate your body. For stripes, imagine the stripes being arrows. Would you rather the arrows go up and down and show how "tall" you are, or ones that make you look heavier? Small prints are great for petites because they don't take you over. You look big next to small things, am I right? This is the same idea.
Other Tips From My Petite Friends:
- For skirts, choose longer lengths- four inches above the knee should be considered a micro mini. Right above the knee is the perfect length to elongate your legs. Pleats are perfect for making you appear taller.
- Single breasted jackets and zippered coats will flatter your frame the best and will save proportion.
- Although it might be tempting, super high heels may overpower you. Luckily, platforms are out so it will be easier to find proportionate heels. Stick to heels that are 2-4 inches so they don't take over your legs and make you look "try hard!"
- Ignore two-toned dresses like shown above. Cutting your body in half as done in this dress and many skirts will do the opposite of elongating your frame. Molly is on the taller side so it works for her build.
- Invest in clothes that fit. I suggest that you invest $50 into a shirt that fits you well rather than $20 on two shirts that fit you poorly. Being petite, it is extremely important to focus on fit.
- Go for the smaller purse. As I said with the small prints, large handbags can overpower you and make you seem shorter.
- Thicker belts will not work! A belt is basically making a portion of your body invisible, so with a narrow belt, less will be eliminated.
To ask Fashion Hauties a quesiton, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.